P. Addison Covert is a partner in the firm's Northern California office, located in Sacramento. Mr. Covert has more than 30 years' experience representing public and private sector clients in public finance, business, education, construction law and bonds. His central areas of practice at the firm are general education law, school facilities construction and financing, school bond elections, and tax-exempt financing.
Mr. Covert has earned a reputation for successfully assisting clients in mediation and other resolutions of complex disputes. A majority of his clients are school districts; however, Mr. Covert also represents community college districts and other public agencies, along with a select number of private sector clients. He works significantly in the areas of school construction, land acquisition and finance, including programs under state and federal law providing revenue for school projects. He has provided legal assistance to FCMAT. He has negotiated a variety of school funding agreements with developers, on behalf of school district clients.
Mr. Covert has assisted in the establishment of numerous Mello-Roos community facilities districts throughout the state, along with school facility improvement districts and other specialized tax generating entities. He has assisted in the contractor selection and award process for school projects under traditional bidding, design-build procedures and lease leaseback construction procedures. Mr. Covert also serves as bond counsel and is a member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers. In this capacity, he has assisted school districts in numerous school bond elections and school bond issues. He has also served as bond counsel on various federal construction and finance programs for schools including QZAB, CREB, QSCB, certificates of participation and lease revenue bonds.
He is a frequent presenter at conferences and workshops for the California School Boards Association, the Coalition for Adequate School Housing and other organizations.
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court, Central and Eastern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
- UC Davis School of Education's Board of Advisors
- California School Boards Association
- California Council of School Attorneys
- Coalition for Adequate School Housing
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
Publications and Presentations
- “Net Zero Energy and Water Efficiency”
- “Your Local Bond Election, Planning for Success”
- “School District Activities Relating to Campaigning, Dissemination of Information and Use of Funds for General Obligation Bond Measures”
- “Legal Implications for Local Control”
- “The Role and Responsibility of a Citizen's Oversight Committee”
- “Best Practices and Procedures for Design-Build School Projects”
- Juris Doctor, Golden Gate University, 1981
- Bachelor of Arts, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1978