Spencer Covert has over 35 years of legal experience in advising public agencies and their governing boards on day-to-day as well as long-term policy matters, and related trial and appellate litigation. Mr. Covert provides general counsel services, negotiations and labor relation representation, and litigation services in the firm’s Tustin office.
Selected Reported Decisions
- AFSCME, Local 3112 v. Anaheim Union High School District
(2016) 41 PERC 80 PERB affirmed dismissal of unfair practice complaint alleging bad faith bargaining during negotiations and affirmed credibility determinations for District.
- El Camino Federation of Teachers, Local 1388 v. El Camino Community College District (2013)
LA-CE-5747-E PERB affirmed College’s implementation of last, best and final offer; dismissed unfair practice complaint.
- California School Employees Association v. Torrance Unified School District
(2010) 182 Cal.App.4th 1040 Court of Appeal determined that Education Code section 45203 does not entitle classified employees to compensation for days that are set aside for certificated staff development and affirmed denial of petition for writ of mandate.
- Sappington v. Orange Unified School District (2004) 119 Cal.App.4th 949, 14 Cal.Rptr.3d 764
Judgment that school district could reduce health insurance coverage for management retirees affirmed on appeal.
- Thorpe v. Long Beach Community College District
(2000) 83 Cal.App.4th 655, 99 Cal.Rptr.2d 897 Employee’s ineligibility for supervisor position affirmed on appeal.
- Orange Unified School District, et al. v. Rancho Santiago Community College District, et al.
(1997) 54 Cal.App.4th 750, 62 Cal.Rptr.2d 778 Community colleges’ right to offer adult education programs affirmed on appeal.
- El Camino Community College District v. Superior Court
(1985) 173 Cal.App.3d 606, 219 Cal.Rptr. 236 Original writ proceeding reversing court over compelling arbitration.
- Fullerton Joint Union High School District v. State Board of Education
(1982) 32 Cal.3d 779, 187 Cal.Rptr. 398 California Supreme Court reversed school district unification plan on various grounds.